Thread: oil level
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #17
Licensed to kill

Default Re: oil level

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Even cold the cold the oil should have come out pretty fast.
That's jay I thought. I even stuck my finger in the hole to make sure it was clear.
Quote:
Was this the first time you drained the oil?
Have you had the pan off this engine yet to check for sludge build up?
When I got the car it was puking oil out the rear so the first thing I did was remove the pan to find out why. Turns out the drain back tube was missing so i replaced it and while I was in there i cleaned the pan (it had about 1/4" of sludge in the bottom) and checked/set the bearing clearances. Had some trouble getting the bearings set the way i wanted. I found the the difference in one shim went from too tight to turn with the crank to 2-3thou?. I might have to go back in and check as I can hear a slight noise at idle so even though I did remove a shim or two from every journal IIRC, I might still have some excessive clearance somewhere. This is the first time I drained the oil since performing the above operations. Used 5 quarts in 300 miles but the plugs are not showing signs of oil fouling and there does not appear to be an abundance of oil all over the bottom of the car. That about of oil would foul the plugs if burned or make quite a mess under the car if leaking i would think.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote