Thread: wiring
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #7
aermotor

Default Re: wiring

The rest of story. I have a Mallory dizzy for the centrifugal advance. Spent a couple days tracing all wiring and still could only get occasional spark. Finally pulled dizzy as I was getting power to the distributor all the time but still only occasional spark at the points. Turns out that the stud to the inside of the dizzy goes through a plastic formed in place grommet and was close enough to the exhaust manifold to melt - allowing the stud to drop enough to touch the housing and causing a short. Got the stud back centered and JB welded in place. Next problem to keep it from melting again. The drive shaft for the Mallory is slotted in the center so I turned the dizzy housing 180 degrees to get the grommet away from the exhaust manifold. Next I swapped a couple plug wires to correspond to the proper cylinder to maintain the plug firing order. Lo and behold all this trouble worked, however I do have some pity on the next guy that tries to time the engine. After all this typing I wonder if anyone gives a rip.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote