View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #9
rotorwrench

Default Re: What is this attached to the carb on 1936 Ford

I'm not sure of the reason behind the previous post. Don't need a heater. Worried about a combustion heater. All are as good a reason as another but I see no reason to fear a South Wind combustion heater that is properly maintained. Problems generally only arise when they are not properly maintained.

When a heater is needed, any type will work as long as they are inspected and found to be safely operable. I would worry more about an exhaust heat exchanger or manifold heater more than I'd worry about the combustion types as long as the fuel lines are not modified on them. A person will quickly smell a fuel leak but CO, not so much. Carbon monoxide leakage is a reality with those if cracks or other leaks form in the exchanger or manifold. We have to use carbon monoxide detectors in the aircraft for both types of heater. Heat exchangers and combustion liners have to be inspected every year in the aviation community.

Hot coolant heaters were not common until a few years later but it takes a while for them to heat up. Combustion or exhaust heat exchanger type heaters get their heat right away.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote