View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #273
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

story number 2. Do read the Deni ute muster and story 1 prior to this. #271 +272

History of Woofa Express, 1928 Model A.

It was a proud ute painted “British Racing Green”, a custom paint job by the Australian distributor of Ford’s and purchased by the Hadden Fig Grazing Company northwest of Dubbo NSW. When hard times fell on the grazing industry it was sold to a wealthy prospector at Lightning Ridge by the name of “Precious” after a particularly valuable opal he had once found. Precious used it mainly to drive around Lightning Ridge simply to show off but he did drive to Dubbo, 220 miles to the south, each Friday to pickup the town’s mail. This service continued until the early 50’s when aeroplanes entered service to outback areas.
It did have one very famous incident. It was used as a hearse in Coonabarabran to carry the body of their famous son to its final resting place. Sir Sydney Ogden, V.C.(Victoria Cross) and M.G. (Medal for Gallantry).
Not a great deal is known about it after the hearse incident except it was parked beneath a pepper tree for years. I bought it from a Sydney gentleman, and yes he was a gentleman, by the name of Vern Blackwell and I had it restored. That was about 2000. I love it and I reckons it’s pretty fond of me too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0780.jpg (50.8 KB, 10 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote