View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #838
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The death of General Motors Holden.

William Holden was a saddle maker in South Australia in 1856 but in the early 1900’s became a body builder. In 1931 the American auto manufacturer G.M. bought the company which became known as General Motors Holden and an all Australian car was designed and manufactured. Whilst it was Australian designed the parent company had a substantial input. Production as an assembler ceased during the war years and the first fully Australian car was produced in 1948 and named the 48- 215 but commonly known as the FX. I have one with only 24 thousand miles in condition as it came off the assembly line. I really can’t warm to it because when I look at any Model A I instantly become besotted. But never the less it is an icon of Australian industry and sort after by enthusiasts. I do get many enquiries from would be buyers.
Like all Australian produced or assemblers have been heavily subsidised by the Australian tax payer. 2 billion in all it is claimed. Opinion is polarised, should subsidy be continued to maintain a manufacturing industry or would it be a waste of money. All auto manufacturers were heavily subsidised. I have no strong opinion either way. It is also said that union wage demands was a contributing factor. Of recent years our population has increased rapidly but even so is only 25 million so our market is small and the internet advises over 50 world motor car manufacturers sell their products in our small market.
Recently G.M. announced it was to cease all activity in Australia in 2021. This has caused considerable consternation. The motor car that for many years commanding 40% of the market fell to 15% in 1991 with Toyota dominating the market and today Mazda having to most popular single vehicle, the Mazda 3.

Here is a picture of the first and last models. I can’t show mine because my computers are in a mess. I have a new Apple and still learning to use it and at this moment can’t find my external hard disk where all my pictures are stored. The reason I changed was Microsoft had too many changes and the new programs are simply too complex.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote