View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #834
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

A Report on the Fires and Hopefully the Concluding Report

There has been rain across much of eastern Australia and some of southern Australia. The fires are now almost under control. However the rain on the eastern side of our “Great Dividing Range” has created very widespread flooding and much of Northern Australia has temps exceeding 100F and some 110F. Australia like America is a large area so climate conditions vary across the country.
I have been watching an Australian TV program on the fires. A factual report not one with producer’s licence. These extensive fires have been extensive with several hundred houses burned in smaller towns and communities. For farmers and graziers they have lost livestock and fences and houses and sheds. They are a hardy lot and say they will rebuild which may well take them years. The area taking perhaps the biggest toll is Kangaroo Island off the southern coast of South Australia. With a total area of a little over 4 million acres one third was burned.

Here it is.
2 dead. Pilot and doctor.
Livestock, a big variation. 100,000 sheep from 1 report and 53,000 sheep and cattle from another. This is a big variation and I don’t know why,
Miles of fencing. 56 homes and 256 outbuildings and 1 large resort.
45,000 acres of plantation timber from a total of 67,000 acres.
A large area of native timber and its native animals.

Right through southern Queensland, NSW, Vic and SA there is devastation. What surprises me is the resilience of people particularly farmers. Just hope it maintains 1, 2 or 3 years from now. It is very sad and watching this extensive report made me rather teary. You’d have to be moved.

And for the Australian readers this report is on Landline on the ABC.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote