View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 02:34 AM   #719
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Karl Hunt.

It was some years ago I was selling my excess equipment after the sale of my business. This included a Dromader aeroplane which I wrote about some time back. It is the only aeroplane I’ve flown that I have disliked. Heavy, unresponsive, oil guzzling, always over heating and boy could it burn fuel.
I had a call from Karl Hunt enquiring about it. I gave him, and honestly too, all the answers to every question he asked. I concluded by asking him who he was for I had never come across him. Those ag operators I didn’t know I had at least heard of. Well Karl tells me it was years ago that he was an ag pilot and for the last 40 he had flown for Malaysian and Cathay Pacific. Well that made me wonder why he’d want to go back to ag and he must be getting on the older side. Karl tells me that for many years he flew big aeroplanes that carried 500 people and he wants one with just one only seat to fly just himself alone. I was honest and told Karl they were infact quite horrible to fly and all the other unattractive aspects it provided the person who was unfortunate to fly it. That didn’t seem to deter him so I suggested he go and see Barry Foster who was an agent for these beasts and perhaps Barry would let him fly one just to access it. I suggested other planes that may interest him including a Stearman, Piper Pawnee, Cessna Agwagon, Airtractor and AgCat which were all much more agreeable. Well Karl went and flew a Dromader with Barry Foster and was quickly convinced they were a nightmare.
He and his attractive Chinese wife came to Finley where I was living at the time and spent a weekend with us. He convinced my son we call Moo to apply to Cathay Pacific, which he did and is now a captain. Michael has been with Cathay now 24 years and regrettably we lost contact with Karl. I have not forgotten Karl but neither have I forgotten the horrid and troublesome Dromader.
Picture from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drom.JPG (45.6 KB, 1 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote