View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #712
kooljunkguy

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Last year was my senior year in high school, and for home-coming I wanted to have a Model A in the parade.
My dad and I didn't have a Model A in running condition yet so our good friend Phil Mino let me borrow his for the parade and football game. It's a 1931 commercial wide-bed that he used as a daily runner.
I drove it to school early on the Friday morning of homecoming. I drove up to the practice field where all the floats were being decorated and all my friends from the marching band were eagerly waiting to decorate the float. We spent the entire day decorating that thing, we had a stand up sign on the bed and made it look like a car from the movie "Cars" and put a ranger hat made of cardboard to represent our mascot, the Redwood Ranger.
Then came the parade early in the afternoon. Students weren't allowed to drive the floats and I had to march with the band at the front of the parade anyway, so my dad came and was in charge of driving. We were so proud of our work and excited for everyone to see.
I left all up to him and I joined the band and the parade begun, it went around the school, down Main Street and back to school. As soon as the band stopped playing I ran to to see our float!
Down passed the floats one by one with no sign of our truck. I wondered if I had missed it because the parade was about to end? Then in the distance I hear distant "oogah"s from the horn of the truck as everyone was leaving... My dad had missed the parade!! All that work!!
He came putting by while everyone was leaving... I turned to my friends who were all rightfully glaring at me for enlisting an old car that was so slow it missed the parade...
What had actually happened was my dad choked it a little too much and flooded the engine, leaving him stranded as the parade was moving on until it started... He felt SOOO bad, and still does to this day when he tells people about it...

This year hopefully my family will get redemption now that I'm not a student I can drive a Model A for my sister who's a sophomore... hopefully I don't miss it!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3620.jpg (59.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3623.jpg (55.9 KB, 17 views)
kooljunkguy is offline   Reply With Quote