View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #62
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: What is a "reasonable" speed in a Model A for one to get "reasonable" engine life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Confuse others?

Someone asked for members views. Which, on this same subject, a number of times over the years people have given. The general consensus seems to be that around 45 MPH a lot of Model A owners think their cars run very nicely. Having said that. I don’t believe those same people are saying their cars will not run faster. Just that at that speed things seem very good.

I would ask everyone to please remember the original question that we were asked. “What is a reasonable speed in a Model A for one to get reasonable engine life”.

I have no idea what level his car has been brought to. Nor do I know the quality of the engine rebuild. I do know that at 45 MPH or less, even a worn engine will last longer than one driven faster.

Enjoy.
Yes, I do think your comment is very confusing. My modern daily driver drives nicely at 45mph, ...however equally as well at 55, 65, and 75 mph. You still have not answered my question as to what fails. If I drive a Model-A with stock tires and gear ratio at 30 mph, the engine internals rotate at 1,270 rpm. If I drive the same vehicle at 60 mph, the rpms are 2,540. So the engine turns the same amount of revolutions to cover the same distance however one speed causes the engine reciprocating parts to rotate for twice the length of time. Outside of that, there really should not be any difference in my view. So again, what internally fails, ...and why does the component(s) fail? Is the engine failures at these higher speeds due to engineering design flaws, -or due to faulty craftsmanship?

As for a worn engine, how is this applicable to the original poster's question as he clearly stated it was a freshly rebuilt (i.e.: not worn ) engine. Commenting about a worn engine lasting longer is kinda confusing to the original question.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)