View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #72
philcobill

Default Re: Can't get engine started after changing timing gear

SUCCESS! At least partially.

Let me give a caveat here.

I was able to get the engine started and it sounds pretty. The engine idles quietly and smoothly, in fact the best since we shipped it here to New York from Spokane, and since I drove it 40 plus years ago. I went through every thing and discovered it had no spark from the coil-to-distributor wire. All the perfunctory voltages check out at 6.3 V +-. I then looked at the points using an indicator light which I connected from ground to the points arm in the distributor. It stayed on with no flickering as the engine turned. Volla, the points were not completely closing on the low spot of the cam. Yes yes yes, a rookie mistake, but I am still behind the learning curve. I adjusted the points and it fired right up.

The reason I say this is a partial success is because I still have the sputtering issue. I think I will start a new thread for that. Before I do that, I will make sure the timing is okay and the carburetors are okay. At least it starts up and idles beautifully. Obviously, I will be making some fine tweaks and re-double checking everything.

Bill
philcobill is offline   Reply With Quote