View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #8
verger1

Default Re: Light Switch no longer working as designed

Sometimes things are not what is apparent. There is nothing wrong with the light switch - as least a voltage tester proved that the suspect connections were in fact good. So why did the right light not work?

Taking the bulb out and using some probes, I found that current was going to the contacts inside the light socket housing. The bulb looked good. The filaments were in place. On the steering wheel, I turned the switch back off and put a bulb in. Turn switch on . . . no light.

Then I touched the bulb. Flash of light (not spark). Took tissue and rocked bulb up and down. On, off, on, off. The bulb is loose in the socket. Turn switch off, push on contacts - no spring action - nothing applying force to the base of the bulb.

I have driven only in the day time. I know that both lights *were* working when I bought the car. Since then, I cannot say the last time I looked at the right head light. When I was looking at lights, it was from the drivers door pushing the brake pedal to see if the new tail light bulb and taillight switch was working. Other than looking to the front to see a light reflection on the wall indicating the headlight was on I really don't know if the right headlight was lit anymore.

Lesson, do a through check of the car even on systems I don't habitually use as I never know when I might.

Now, the errant light socket - please look at the video I have linked to.

Faulty Headlight

Here is what I found "behind the scenes."

As far as I can see, there is no means of focusing this arrangement. What was the previous owner thinking?? Is this the remains of a sealed beam conversion?? I am debating trying to fix this or simply replacing the entire unit.

I have gone from one previous owner "fix" to another... I suppose for a ninety year old car, you just come to expect this.

Your thoughts on the headlights would be welcome. Thank you

For those commenting on the first, apparent issue, thank you for your guidance on that, too.

Best Regards,

John+
verger1 is offline   Reply With Quote