View Single Post
Old 06-20-2021, 12:06 PM   #130
Floyd

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

6 volts done perfectly ,like when Henry built it , will work perfectly. 6 volts will crank and start that B engine just fine ,like it has for almost 90 years.
I have a 32 and a 40 (cars) and they are 6 volt and run perfectly. You have no real electrical loads to run on a 32 besides horn, lights , ignition coil and one dash light.
Having said that, an Optima 6 V battery in a Ford script battery case (I have done this to both of my cars) is a good idea.
For my '32, I did change the headlights to 6V halogen (the low wattage German bulbs)_ and did use the Bob Drake reflectors. The regular 6 volt halogen bulbs are 55w and too much for the generator. This worked out great as the focal point is perfect, the pattern is perfect and the current draw is exactly the same as the old bulbs, so the generator is more than happy. I don't know what can be done for the truck lights, but if the new -made for -halogenbulb reflectors can be fitted, I would do that. Paint the inside of the tail light white and use the brighter 6V bulb. It will be as bright as a new car, providing the wiring and connections are perfect or better.
Saying it is "6 Volt " is a badge of honor, just like mechanical brakes and original paint. Having to say or answer the inevitable question about " did you convert to 12 volts?" would be admitting defeat. Proudly saying "it is ALL original" has a lot of charm, pride and the fact that you found the perfect vehicle for that should weigh heavily on your decision.
Besides, what is 12V going to do for you (really)?
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote