View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 06:55 AM   #123
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Folks,
Was too pooped to post last night. I spent the afternoon in the shop mostly working on the rear brakes. Greased the bearings on the passengers side rear and re installed the drum onto the axle. I did lube the ebrake pivot points lightly.
Then to the left side. Wheel lug nuts came off the same as the right side. (one nut came off the inner stud with the wheel.

Came up with a way to remove that nut / stud with the wheel off. The right sized Cresent wrench!:

While at Snyder's I got some info on the exhaust pipe connection which may be about wht I need for the 32? This is a model A type flange. I picked up a clamp just in case, but will try use mine with some new bolts.
Bottom line is I may have to have a custom pipe made with this flange and the correct bends. I was trying to maybe get something on the exhaust prior to a attempt to strart the engine.

The model A manifold as a ref.

The springs- set them in position for fit check.

I had to set on them, with some cadrboard,. At 6'-2" tall this truck is going to be a tight fit on the old man! I think these will be a really good addition to the 32. Dang that shifter is smooth as silk now! Little things make me happy!

I will start to look at my stock of ash boards to make the seat bases. Also may use the old hangers from the original seat spring back. Thge ash is from a tree here on the property. That will be another post another day!

Last brake drum removal for review:

Rear drivers. I thought I was doing well until the puller started to move. I though the hub had broke free? No it had pulled the nut off one of the studs. I was about sick! I dont every intend to damage anything and try to be really careful. (Hard to do when the tools are a 2 lb hammer for the turning, and a 12 lb mall for the persuading!) But in this case I forgot to tighten the left handed nuts down with a wrench. I took the puller off and moved to another set of studs. Did a quick evaluation of the damage and found that most of the damage was to the nut not the thread on the truck! Whew!!
Proceeded to pound and beat on the puller. Added a little heat to the hub with a MAP gas propane torch. Stopped took a breath, sipped a cool beverage, called a friend, and then went back at it slowly! About 10:30 it popped off!
I was very happy. ( by the way I did turn the adjusters to increase the shoe to drum clearance.
Looks very good in the brake shoe area.

Yea its not show quality in there but it looks pretty well maintained: Pads look ok to me.

E brake pads and actuator:

Here is the back and the large seal:

** I think I need a inner seal for the hub ( shown above), anyone have one or know where I might get one? I dont have the part number yet! its the big one that goes in after the huge needle bearings then a snap ring retains it. I can see the spring of the seal and there is some grease that came out into the backer plate area. hope this is not one of those unobtainable items?? **Off to try to do something besides ride the couch! Hope things ar good In Ford land. Thanks for checking in on me.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 06-19-2021 at 07:01 AM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote