View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Finally starting my ‘35’s juice brake conversion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Collected all parts required (‘47 ford parts), all parts new or cleaned up refreshed. Got a few questions:
1-Is arcing the shoes really necessary? I’ve read the new replacement shoes fit & roundness is adequate to put on as is & break-in as done on newer vehicles I.e. late ‘60’s cars?

2-I’m using the ‘47 brakes all around as I have & r good with plans to convert to Lincoln Bendix type in front when $ allow. Will the Bendix type fit on direct swap when I do?

3-I’m using Richard’s Early Ford Garage Juice brake conversion kit ( uses existing brake pedal & linkage to single well ‘47 Master Cylinder. Any heads up on issues from anyone who used this set up on vehicle with fully assemble car I.e body on, engine / tranny in, interior in etc. would be appreciated!
Yup, STAY FAR AWAY from the Speedway drums! They look similar to the Boling Bros. units, but they ain't, for sure!!

'35 & '36 spindles are kind of "oddballs", and each is a 'ONE-YEAR-ONLY' piece. What the two years DO have in common is that the register that the backing plate fits over is the same size BOTH years, but SMALLER in diameter than the hole in '37-'48 backing plates. IF YOU KEEP YOUR '35 spindles, you're going to have to do some modifying to your backing plates.

<<NOW IS THE TIME TO CONVERT TO '37-'48 SPINDLES>>!

IF you do not change spindles, the size of the 4 holes...AND THE BOLT-CIRCLES in the spindles and backing plates...do NOT match. Most folks agree that welding-up the holes in the backing plates and then re-drilling new, smaller diameter holes on the correct bolt circle, is the way to do it, along with STILL having to use the "filler" ring for the hole size mis-match.

What you plan to do (the upgrade to hydraulics, especially the Bendix in front) is great....you'll never look back. But if it were me, I'd upgrade to the '37-48 spindles before the brake swap.

One more thing....."Krylon32" (Gary) is a dealer for the Boling Bros/MT brakes and offers a 10% discount to FordBarn members. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote