Thread: Battery charger
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
eagle

Default Re: Battery charger

One thing to remember, slow or trickle chargers are much better for the battery than higher rate chargers. If one of my vehicle batteries gets accidentally discharged, if its not an emergency to get it on the road right away, I always use a trickle charger on the battery, leave it on for a couple days if possible. A lead acid battery likes a long slow charge to get it back in shape after the trauma of a complete discharge. Even if you jump start a modern car and drive it a while, when it gets home for the night put a trickle charger on it over night to bring the battery back up to snuff. Most of the automatic chargers will go into a trickle or maintenance mode after a few hours of charging, that doesn't mean the battery is "done". Leave it to top off. Longer the better, within reason. I know someone that parks his modern car for the winter and just uses his pickup. He doesn't disconnect the battery or charge it at all in the winter. In the spring of course it usually won't start so he jumps it to get it going. Batteries don't last more than a couple years.

Last edited by eagle; 01-09-2021 at 01:26 PM.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote