View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #9
Joe K

Default Re: Carburator Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Alden View Post
You may want to take a look at your adjusting needle O.D. I had the same issue and ended up using my old needle.Attachment 426024
It is possible to remove the circlip and "bend" the fingers by pushing an awl down the GAV housing throat. One has to be careful not to push too far lest one break off a finger.

The GAV housing CAN be used without the circlip if it is too tight on the needle. The circlip can be substituted with a SMALL o-ring for greater tension than bare fingers alone.

And - even if a finger gets broken off, that may be just the right amount of tension on the needle shaft with what remains - with or without the circlip. I'm currently broken but using the metal circlip.

You have to play around with it and get the right "feel" to the knob. You want it easy to turn, not galling, but not so loose that the GAV moves by itself under the vibration of the engine.

In the Model B carburetor, Ford went with a washer and spring which holds tension on the GAV needle shoulder - a different setup entirely.

Joe K