Thread: '31 Budd Cab
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
Mister Moose

Default Re: '31 Budd Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
I really believe if the Florida wind was just right -- I could do 90!!
When were wind-tunnels used?
Not very 'A' related, but Orville and Wilbur Wright invented the wind tunnel before the powered flights in 1903. While experimenting with gliders on Kitty Hawk they weren't getting the calculated lift and were stymied. Seeking the answer, they came up with a device to measure lift from various wing shapes. The wind tunnel was born. Their first discovery with it was that the generally accepted lift equations of the day were wrong. They designed and tested new wing shapes, and accurate lift relationships. This is just a glimpse of their genius. Those who think that Langley was first (He was backed by the US government and the Wrights were ignored at first) or Whitehead was first (Hopeless CT claim, Whitehead had no roll control or adequate lift) have not studied the Wright's brilliance, in the engine, in the wings, in realizing a propeller is an airfoil, in establishing roll control for the first time, and in their dogged persistence. It's a fascinating richly detailed story, and something I've obviously spent some time on. Including 3,000 hours in flight.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote