View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #13
Patrick L.

Default Re: Model A's & Airplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
A real J-2? In Gene Smith's book "What They were Like to Fly" he said. there were less than a dozen on the registry. I had one of them parked next to me at the now defunct "Twin Pines" airport in Ewing , NJ. In talking with the owner, I found out that in Colorado and some other states with a lot of altitude, after 9 am it was almost impossible to get out of "ground effect" I believe it had a 36 HP engine. That should tell you something!
Terry

It was a real 1937 Taylor J2 with a Cont 37 HP engine. I seem to remember it should have the 40 HP. It was a real handful. I strapped my fanny in it once, that was enough. I don't remember the temp or DA, it was a nice day. We used all the grass runway and then some. The terrain rose with freshly planted corn and we relaunched on the crest of that field. It was struggle just to get to pattern altitude [ 800ft] after flying around for a half hour or so. I enjoyed the heck out of the ride but once was enough. I like the little continental engines, but not the single ignition ones. That ole girl doesn't get much exercise.
I learned in a J3 many decades ago and still love being in them.
I guess risky flying has never bothered me. I've flown thru hedgerows a number of times and made a half dozen 00 landings and have had 2 dozen gear failures, fires, engine failures, vacuum gauge failures, students freezing in stalls and spins, etc . But, once in the J2 was enough.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote