View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 03:23 PM   #9
dmsfrr

Default Re: Reassembly Questions regarding firewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick brophy View Post
I enclosed several photos That show the holes I was referring to. I also show a photo of the tach cable and you can see how long it is in the photo. I am using the hole in side of the firewall since that hole had the size for the correct size bushing for the tach cable.
I'm temporarily striking out on the holes above the Data plate. I'll go thru some more 'before' photos. The one closest to the top of the photo may be for one of the plastic pins that attaches the firewall insulating pad.

The 'appears to be original' Tach cable on my '57 Bird is approx 44.5 to 45 inches long.

Is the Tach cable in your photo inserted thru the firewall correctly? The orange circled knurled ring on the cable I have fastens to the back on the Tach not the distributor. But it looks like you have an after-market distributor so nevermind.

In this copy of your photo, the stud marked with an orange arrow is where the original main Ground wire fastens between the firewall and engine block. Excess paint will need to be removed.

'57 Birds have a weak link in the original Ground connections from the battery to a pair of small studs just over a foot apart on the firewall then to the engine block.
A better solution is to Ground the battery to the left side head or block with a full-sized battery cable. Then a good-sized Ground wire or strap from that terminal on the engine to the stud on the firewall. Similar to how the '55 & '56 body Ground cable was originally done.
https://www.ctci.org/battery-cables/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB tach cable c.jpg (58.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 55-56 body ground cable.jpg (65.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-30-2022 at 06:28 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote