View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 03:40 PM   #2
bbrocksr

Default Re: Spring shackle bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
I know. I'm opening up an old can of worms, but I need some help/ideas.

I have searched the archives on this but I still am uncertain as to what to do about spring shackle bushing on my 35 PU. I used neoprene (I think) bushings when I assembled everything a few years back but they have worn through on the front spring due to apparent twisting of the spring. I am replacing the front spring with a new one (NORS probably), and I want the easiest but longest-lasting bushings.

I have plenty of NORS bushings but I would rather not use them because the rubber/fabric has probably deteriorated, and will also need to be pressed in if used.

I am thinking of using oilite bushings, but then again I'm torn between oilite and nylon impregnated with molly. (Delrin)

I'm looking for recommendations on type and suppliers. My truck is a driver and I am not a stickler for originality at this stage of my life.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Lawson, I did the same thing to my 36 pickup, I used polyurethane bushings and they didn't last very long at all. They ate through the sides of the bushings on all four corners. Too much pressure for polyurethane.
I got flanged Oilite bushings from my local bearing supplier for $2.00 each.
They are a snug fit in the spring and hangers but tap right in.
My shackles are Speedway, they've got the Oilite bushings too but are more expensive.
I thought about Delrin but decided to go with Oilite

Bill

Last edited by bbrocksr; 06-24-2021 at 12:23 PM.
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)