View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
Ggmac

Default Re: 36 21 stud Pistons with buttons

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Aircraft engines use several types of what are referred to as piston pin plugs since most have floating piston pins. Some plugs have a light push fit outside of the piston pin and fill the whole pin bore. Other types fit into each end of the piston pin with a piloted stub and can be either a light push fit or a tighter press fit. Most of these are only a bumper plug and don't fill the whole bore. Some are made from harder aluminum alloys and others are made from a softer copper aluminum alloy and have a gold color to them. All of them work pretty well as long as they are replaced at each overhaul.

I don't know what Ford used with their steel pistons since I haven't worked on any that old yet. An engine rebuilder that works on a lot of old flatheads could likely add more to the story than I can.
Thanks , these aren't like the Teflon plugs I've used on the SBChevys . These are a washer looking convex plug , hollow center , full pin diam and seem to expand like a Welch plug when compressed in center .
This engine also has rings (1-2) that have diag ends . I've seen this type before but can't remember on what . I'm thinking on motorcycle or import .
Thanks again .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote