View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #342
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Today’s Sudan.

Sudan is a large North African nation surrounded by 9 other countries but is basically south of Egypt and the Red Sea. Since 2005 it is divided into Sudan and South Sudan.
The north is populated by Muslim Arabs and the south by African blacks. The two ethnic groups have been waring for years, the south rebelling over northern ethnic domination. In 2005 a separate state of South Sudan was formed and they are now having their own civil war between the President and the opposition leader. Two million are reported to have died of starvation.
Oil was discovered in South Sudan the following year I worked there in1977. Much of the revenue has been lost because of the current civil war and South Sudan remains one of the poorest nations on earth.
The internet shows 19,000 Sudanese live in Australia and I would think almost the entirety are refuges. Many have not integrated well into Australian society and formed unruly gangs. The usual old gang stuff, vandalism, robbery and assault. They have by far the highest rate of incarceration of any nationality.
Just a few observations on Sudan when I worked there in 1977. Irrigated agriculture is the main industry and cotton and peanuts the main products. They were Sudan’s main exports. Both are irrigated from the Blue Nile which flows northward and meets the White Nile at Khartoum. The irrigation area is known as the Gazera. I understand it was largely destroyed in the last (of several) civil wars.
The houses were mostly ramed earth or pissi. Some were round straw.
The main language, in the north is Arabic. South Sudan which is predominantly Black African has many dialects. Both have a few people who speak English which is a left over from the English Colonial days.

Some memories of Khartoum.
The odour of urine.
The beautiful London Plain trees growing on the banks of the Nile. General Gordon’s boat on the river.
The bullet holes in the bar wall at the Excelsior Hotel.
The disorderly flow of traffic.
Two good Piper Cub aeroplanes sitting abandoned at the airport. The pilots wore a track to them, looking at them and longing to take them home.
Old or redundant aeroplane scrap heap at the airport. Some simply gone unserviceable and not repaired.
About an acre of “lost luggage” piled high at the airport, and exposed to the weather. The bags busting and overflowing with good clothing.

The Sudanese company did their very best to provide for us and make us comfortable. Was I pleased to have done it. Yes, most definitely. Would I do it again. Under the same circumstances. Yes - drought at home. It was an adventure besides I needed to feed my wife and little kids.
What gave me the greatest pleasure –arriving back in Australia.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 11-18-2018 at 11:58 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)