View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #3
Tom in TN

Default Re: Can we post about 1966 Ford Mustangs?

That’s kind of how I saw it too, but I thought I’d check anyway…

OK, so my friend Chuck has a 1966 Mustang and someone following him on a run we were doing, told him that his brake lights were not coming on every time. It was like they only came on when he really stomped the brakes hard.

So Chuck buys a new brake switch and installs it. The brakes seemed to come on every time and he parks his car for the night and goes to bed. The next morning, the Mustang was dead as a doornail- no juice left at all. Well, he hooks a charger to it and as the battery got charged, he sees the brake lights are on. He pushes the pedal and they go out…but 15-20 minutes later, they come back on- no one is in the car.

OK, maybe a bad switch, so he buys another switch and installs it. Yay, the brakes shine when the pedal is mashed and they go out when it isn’t- job is done…
Welll, not so fast. Car is sitting there and after about 15-20 minutes, the brake lights COME BACK ON.

The switch is a mechanical type- stock for the 66 Mustang and there is no adjustment that we can find.

Since I have had great success and support from Fordbarn on my own cars, I told Chuck that I would toss this out and see if anyone else has had Casper the ghost mashing their brake pedal.

What do you folks think?
Tom in TN is offline   Reply With Quote