View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 03:03 AM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Gear ratio's and final drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by clo View Post
Why isn’t the T-170 talked about enough. Sure, there are 3 different gear ratios. What’s better then a overdrive with near stock shifter position. I would lean more towards going this route then a T-5 for early Fords.
Go find a friend with an early GM muscle-type car or Vette that has a close ratio four speed MUNCIE transmission in it. Take a ride and shift that thing through ALL FOUR gears somewhat authoritatively, and you'll understand just how nice it feels keeping the engine revs in the tight power band that one extra gear (4-speed vs 3-speed) affords. Fact of the matter is that MANY guys don't get these cars out on the freeway that often. I know that that fully-synchronized extra gear is more important to me than the over drive feature. And the T5 offers BOTH!

Just for yuks, the pictures below show the location of the shifter on a T5 we adapted to a flathead engine/torque tube in a '35 Ford pick-up. Link to the build thread BELOW if you're interested. If you use the S-10 tail shaft housing like most guys do, the shifter will even be about two inches farther forward than in this picture. We built this Camaro T5 (pictured) using a Jeep 4X4 tail shaft housing for adaptation to the torque tube. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206955

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote