View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
Russ B

Default Re: 68B Cabriolet Front Folding Irons - Angeled or Straight ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
I ...

That being said, we have reality to work with today.....

Honestly, the cabriolet is a complex mechanical contraption. It takes a lot of thinking to get it right. Throw in the inaccuracies found in making the wood and the lack of jigs you end up with a difficult restoration effort. I would say that most guys will have issues with building the body. The only exception is the rare guy that works way above my head.

The moral:

You have to make some guesses and do your best.
Agreed. Putting a cabriolet body back together with new wood is a job that can not be rushed if you want it all to fit good. While every body coming from Briggs Body May have had identical dimensions, one restored today may look and fit perfectly, but inevitably there will be one or two dimensional differences from another one in which the other owner/builder took as much time and effort to make it as good as possible considering all the different parts source, wear and tear on the original parts, and just plain wrong dimensioned reproduction parts that have to be used.

I am happy with mine looking as perfect as it does. While mine is intentionally modified in many subtle ways, it is more a Briggs Body restoration than many other that have been put back on the road.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote