View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 01:10 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Plans for the 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Brent - doesn't one also need to consider the horn, windshield wiper (if electric) and starter as well? These are all 6V motors.

JayJay
Twice I read where the original poster used the word 'need'. I took it he was looking items that he must replace. IMHO, the present coil will be short-lived on 12 volts. The same with his headlight and tail lamp bulbs. Now, his wiper should be a vacuum wiper so that should not be affected. The starter is no biggie as for many years prior to new 12v field coils being made, many used the 6v starter on 12v without any issues. As for the horn, it really does not 'need' to be converted to 12v to operate. A few clicks of the adjustment screw will slow it down, and most need to be rebuilt anyway where the extra jolt of voltage helps them get spinning. If the O/P is concerned though, he can use the 1.5 ohm ignition coil he removed to be a voltage reducer for his horn.

With regard to needing 12v accessories, I (-like many others) charge my cell phones and run my GPS when on tour with my 6 volt battery and charging system. The only reason I can think of for needing a 12v system is if you are in Jordan's part of the country where an A/C system has been retrofitted to the vehicle. For me, all my brass-era up to Model-As are all open cars, ...so I let Mother Nature be the 'fan'.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote