View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 06:44 PM   #17
52Allard

Default Re: Rebuilding an Ardun OHV 1954 - 1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Do you have any pictures of the Ardun that would have been in it? I'm wondering if it had the early or later production heads (they are different). I would imagine that it came with the later heads and center water outlets (not on the front). Also, what intake manifold and carb setup did it have?

Don's repop heads are excellent - better than the originals (especially the rocker arm system). But - they are not originals. A Mercury 99A block is not easy to find - and I'm not sure if that block was actually produced in Canada or the USA. I have a 99A type block in my 32 Cabriolet. Back in the day, this block was considered one of the best to build for performance usage - though I personally don't see it as any better than a good 59x 239 block.

Given the cost of finding original parts and then building an Ardun - is that on your table, or is it in the "someday dream" category? Your car should have a real Ardun in it.
Please see a few photos of original Ardun Allards attached. It looks like both new and old style heads could be in the Allards but my car had the newer style heads with the water outlets in the center of the heads. (original owner mentioned that in one of his letters). The best photo of a clean unmolested correct engine is the one on the engine stand out of the car. This was from an auction in England. Looks very original without modifications.

As far as intake manifolds go, you can see the two individual intake manifolds which were nice on paper (one intake manifold design for each head - didn't need a left or right) and it used 2 Solex carburetors. The original owner of my car realized that the original intakes weren't very good for performance so upgraded to a Hilborn fuel injection. I'll scan that note in too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allard-j2x-ardun-ford-v8-1953-6.jpg (78.4 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Allard_J2-1515_10.jpg (72.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 49-Allard-J2-Prototype-DV_10-AACA_e07-800.jpg (146.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Allard_J2-1515_20.jpg (69.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Ardun.jpg (91.8 KB, 149 views)
52Allard is offline   Reply With Quote