View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #114
joeypoconos

Default Re: Is There An Electrician In The House?

sturgis - the cutout is the original type, it was polarized. This is the second cut out I've tried. The one originally on the generator was polarized as well.
I took the generator to the GO TO generator/alternator repair shop in my area. Been in business forever and has worked on every conceivable 6 & 12 volt generator you can imagine. He ran a quick "motor" test using a '12' volt source to determine how 'fast' it spun and how much “torque” it produced (he was able to grab the pulley and stop it from spinning with very little effort). He did say, considering it was hooked to a 12 volt source, it should have spun faster and produced more torque than it did. He did not go so far as to say it proved the generator was at fault.
He suggested running a load test (as many of you have) and also inquired about the battery and cut-out (i.e. condition, age, etc), connections, grounds etal. I got him caught up, as best I could, on all the things that have transpired since this saga began.
Unfortunately, he is a one man operation and is headed on vacation for two weeks, ergo, he will not be able to get into the guts of this thing until he returns. This works for me as I am heading out of the country to meet my newest grandson. As a result, I probably won’t have much to add/post until he/I return.
Next step - Bottom line, in two weeks, I’m taking the “A” on a leisurely ride to his shop where he will run diagnostics on the electrical system prior to tearing anything apart.
In regard to this thread, be assured, I will continue to post updates until WE get to the bottom of this issue. THE SAGA CONTINUES!
joeypoconos is offline   Reply With Quote