View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
blucar

Default Re: 1949 Ford State Police car

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I worked part time at a Ford dealership in Eastern Idaho in '49-51. As I recall the police cars were very similar to the taxi cab's, heavier duty suspension cooling, very sparton interiors and HD electrical systems.
I worked in new car prep and the body shop.. The dealer-ship got a lot of taxi cab's, Yellow Cab, and police cars as trade-ins. They were kept behind the dealer-ship. As time and need arose the body shop would bring the retired commercial cars into the shop, the necessary body repairs would be done, we would repaint the cars Sea Foam Green, then they would feed them into the used car lot a couple at a time.
Sea Foam Green was a stock Ford color, the body shop brought the paint in fifty gallon drums from Ford.
One should keep in mind that during the '40's, 50's, and later, a vehicle was considered to be worn out when the odometer approached 50K. Now a 100,K is considered to be low mileage..
My '36 had 51 +K on the odometer when I bough the car in Sept, '52. That is 16 years so the car only averaged 3,+K per year.