View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
blucar

Default Re: 1952 F1 with a FE 352

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Trying to upgrade a '50 model truck to an FE engine is a very difficult task. The FE engines are very large, heavy engines and nobody that I was ever able to connect with could help me with mounts, bell housings, etc.
I know that in '64 the common V8 for a Ford truck was a 292 Y block, however, Ford had an option for a 352/332 FE engine with a T98 4 spd. The front motor mount was very similar to the Y block mount and the bell housing had the two mounts.
I had a '64 F350 with a 292 in about 1978 that blew up, broke the crank, a real mess. I had picked up a complete, low milage '76 390 that I had sitting on a shelf, awaiting use. I went to the Local Ford dealer, asked about the bell housing, et., for a FE engine to a T98 trans. Ford came up with all the mounts, etc., I needed, we installed the 390 into the '64 like it was a factory deal.
Of course that was in '78, when parts countermen knew their stuff and would take the time to look things up.
I had the same problem a few years ago trying to put a 351 W onto a T98 trans, in my '59 F100 4x... Finally gave up and had the 292 rebuilt.
Once you get out of the EFV8 era, with the one size fits all mentality, things get very difficult.