View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Wheel stud replacement help: '42-'48 hubs & drums

Hey Tim....Considerin' that I really don't know squat about notta', let me tell ya what I've heard. Unfortunately, I've heard a bunch about this set-up. First of all, I AM fairly sure that Ford never sold drums ONLY across the counter for Fords with the swaged wheel studs, just because they were so difficult to R&R "properly". Hence, Ford always sold ya a drum/hub ASSEMBLY at the Ford House which was already glued together (swaged). Secondly, there's another story noting that there never was a replacement drum for the hubs with flange on the outside, like the ones in your picture. And third, I've heard it adamantly-stated for years now that there is NO Dorman or Dorman-like replacement for the stock Ford swaged studs, diameter-wise. I guess it has something to do with that damned ol' swage again, somehow. I've been lead to believe that to replace the studs, one must find an appropriately-oversized (diameter) stud of the correct length that can be pressed-in after reaming the holes to a proper press-fit. And even at that, they will act like later model drums simply slipping over the wheel studs, being held securely by the wheel and lug nuts. Curiously, where did ya come-up with those two bare drums? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)