View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #26
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Scrap Drives May Have Trashed Cars, But Were the Drives Necessary?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Attachment 444265

Remember taking a guided tour of the John Deere facilities in Moline, IL and was shown this deer statue made of copper. It was in the Deere family since 1900 and the story was that during WWII the family donated it to the war effort scrap drive. Some of the JD employees then hid the statue by walling it up until after the war and then gave it back to the family later. True or BS story from a tour guide, I don’t know....
it's a true story, I retired from Deere and the older guys used to talk about that

Deere recruited from within the ranks and formed the John Deere Battalion during WWII. They were machinists and repairmen and went to the ETO to repair all sorts of weapons and vehicles that were drug back off of the battlefields. A guy that lived up the street from me was in that outfit and he told me the worst part was washing out the blood and body parts of Sherman tanks that had been shot up in battle, and fixing them back up to get them into service. It took a strong stomach he said. He also told me he felt sorry for the poor guys that had to ride that Sherman tank into battle against the German tanks. They were no match at all.

Back to Model A Fords.......... if they hadn't been such well built cars like they were many many more would have been scrapped but a lot of them were still running and being used. I'd say Chrysler and GM cars and trucks made up most of the scrap drives along with extremely worn out Model T's. When Model A came out, Model T was really pretty obsoleted. How would you like to have been the guy that finally caved in in 1927 and bought a new Model T Ford, than later saw the 1928 Ford Model A's and think wow I sure wish I would have waited another year Model A was a lot better car in my opinion than Model T ever was.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote