View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
Roderick

Default Re: Volvo Laycock Overdrive DIY

Jim,
You are an artist. The rifle barrel idea is completely inspired. Thank you for the reply. I would love to see a sketch of your wiring setup if possible. I would like to set mine up so that if I park the car and shut it down with the OD engaged, when I restart it the OD will be disengaged until I hit the button again. Does your setup do this? I am forgetful, so I want to idiot-proof it as much as I can. I got the idea from my buddy's table saw. We were ripping some nasty wood and it bound the blade, tripping the breaker. He reset the breaker without pushing the stop button on the saw and it didn't try to start again until he pushed the start button because it has a safety feature. I think it has electromagnetic contacts that keep it engaged. When the breaker shuts off, the electromagnet de-engergizes and the contacts separate. This plus the reverse lock-out should keep me out of trouble I think. Also, how do you drive yours? Do you split every gear? Do you find you need to be at a certain road speed or rpm for engaging or disengaging the OD? I have read that the shifts are slower at lower speeds since the output shaft of the transmission drives the pump that shifts the OD.
I am thinking that the reverse lockout switch could be a thread-in type with a ball that is pushed in by the shift rail in the transmission cover when reverse is engaged. I would love to see how others have done it instead of reinventing the wheel. Maybe there is a source for a switch that fits well without drilling a massive hole, etc. I don't want to experiment with drilling my shifter housing, or create a setup that is unreliable and kills my OD.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. Twenty years ago most of this information would have been difficult or impossible for me to access.
Roderick is offline   Reply With Quote