View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #13
asapguy

Default Re: Filling Model B steam holes

Taped & plugged the holes in the head & the block with 8MM Allen screws. No drilling needed just taped the holes. Screwed them in just below the surface a covered holes with JB Weld. After the JB Weld cures I'll sand flat & install a copper gasket w/o steam holes. Something I forgot to mention that is important if you don't already know this take note!! I installed new hardened studs when I replaced the gasket a few yrs, ago. The long stud for the dist. cable clamp is longer and this is what I didn't know. You must install the clamp before you install the nut. What I did was to install the nut, torque it several times after running it for awhile. Then I installed the clamp & installed a half nut to hold clamp. When I removed the head nuts that stud came out with the nut which had bottomed out on the threads. The threads are to short to allow proper torque to the head. The reason I did this is on another car I have I removed the clamp to work on the dist. & with the nut off just that one head bolt water leaked into the oil. You could also cut a few more thread in that long stud to correct this problem. I have heard others had this same problem so something to think about.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote