View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
Joe K

Default Re: Front Axle - Repair old or look for replacement?

My machinist friend here locally I remember "cleaned them up" the minimum necessary to achieve a full clear diameter. The sleeve he used some diameter thick wall tubing which he turned the exterior to match and be interference with the new enlarged hole. I'm thinking the tubing was 1" OD before but whatever after he turned it down.

This he pressed into the housing using loctite & etc.

He then machined the interior using the bridgeport.

He commented that he wondered how much the loctite did because the sleeve naturally gets hot during machining - but he was sure he would have to machine out the sleeve to get it out - and it doesn't seem to break the bond or turn as he is machining.

With the sleeve done he has to machine the lock pin hole - which is a straight diameter on most axles. (Some early ones might be "different" IIRC - not part of the discussion with him)

We talked some about reduction in strength of the axle.

"Severely overdesigned" he said. "The roads ARE a lot better now than they were then."

Well, maybe down south. Here in Cow Hampshire frost heaves are not a lifestyle choice. And roads haven't changed THAT much since 1929.

I watched him on the setup. He had some right angle plates that he fussed around on the table of the bridgeport. And the axle clamped to these. His table was NOT quite long enough to do the axle in one setting - but he was meticulous in establishing the axle "level and square" to assure that 7 degrees required.

It took four setups/breakdowns to do one axle both ends. He didn't press the sleeve in in place but used the remote press (requiring re-placement) He indicated he preferred this over doing one end since it's hard to establish true axis on the "good" side and use that to set up for the "bad" side. He preferred to simply place the axle. Go for level and square. And machine both without removing the angle plates from the axle.

He also indicated that he can straighten an axle - but preferred to work straight ones - but that there were not many left that were still straight.

"How may do you think are straight?" I asked.

"Of hundred I've done, I've seen two" he says.

I think he was trying to tell me something about his interest level.

He claims to be retired now - but he hasn't sold off his bridgeport or lathe - last I knew.

Joe K