View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Easy

Default Re: Front Axle - Repair old or look for replacement?

I just went through the same axle situation. My axle kingpin holes were very sloppy. After talking with several model A club members they recommended beating the ends of the axle with a shop hammer to slightly tighten the holes. They had seen this numerous times and this process worked. The model A axel is very tough and this was not an easy job. You have to hit the axel on the ends and keep testing to avoid going too far. You will find the metal in these axles have a memory and will relax back toward original shape, hence you can't be in a hurry. It might take several days and multiple sessions until it will stabilize. My kingpin holes came out just right with no slop. Two schools of thought on beating on the axle. If you beat on the top and bottom bosses as opposed to just between the bosses they will peen vertically and you will need to file that small vertical component down flush for proper spindle spacing. If you beat on just the space between the bosses the metal is thinner and is easier to overdo it. I beat on both surfaces. This is better done with the axle on the car. My front end is back together and the brakes and alignment came out fine. Most of the slop I had turned out to be the axle holes and this process eliminated it.
Easy is offline   Reply With Quote