Thread: Faulty Flasher
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2024, 12:26 PM   #15
Banditorama

Default Re: Faulty Flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
I am bumping this thread because now I have a new problem: My new 6-volt 3-pin flasher makes the indicators work well (yay!) but it will not make the pilot light flash on the end of the stalk! I am sure there is no problem with the switch or the wiring, so there must be a problem with the flasher unit. I have tried 2 brand new flasher units but neither will make the pilot light flash! I am using 6-volt incandescent bulbs, not LED bulbs.

A retired auto-electrician friend says the modern flasher units are too "electronic". He suggests I buy an "old-school" flasher unit which works a different way. So can anyone tell me what an "old-school" flasher unit is and how it operates and where I can buy one?
Idk how you have your system/car wired, installed, or which indicator stalk you're using. But, the steering column is grounded which could cause issues depending on how you're setup. Don't know if that applies to you or not, but its something to check

Old school thermal flashers use a bi-metallic strip and a resistor to generate heat which causes it to expand and complete the circuit to the light bulb. When that circuit is completed, the strip cools down and retracts which opens the circuit and shuts the bulbs off. This repeats over and over until the turn signal switch is disengaged

An electronic one is all solid state. Controlled by a timing chip and transistors.

You can get the old school mechanical ones at autozone or any other parts store. But, I would bench test the one you have first. Get a test light and put it on the pilot pin, then apply power/ground to the relay and see what happens
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote