View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 05:25 PM   #1
bautiprea

Default GAV Adjustment + Choke flood

Hello people. This is my first time on the forum. I have now fully serviced my 31' Model A, and now everything is running correctly I would like to further understand the car. I usually use the Gav at 1/4-1/2. However, it backfires, meaning there is fuel left to ignite. So when I open it just a tiny bit more than 1/2 turn(usually 1/2 turn will not backfire), engine will idle pretty bad to my taste. It feels more jerky, not as "harmonic". So how should I balance the backfire-idle problem, can't seem to find a spot where it wont backfire AND idle nicely.
Another thing, when starting this last couple of times, it was more difficult than usual. I usually start it retarder, and gav 1/2 open, and with the choke lever up from the point in which I press the starter, until it starts. Problem is, lately its taking longer to start, even have to try 2 times as it may start, and then die after a second(it feels as it didnt have fuel, slowly dies even though I accelerate it) So. Am I flooding the engine with too much choke? Should I advance the throttle a bit so it starts more easily? A couple of months ago, it would start after the engine turned a couple of times, now I even need a good battery on it for it to start(my battery is pretty discharged, I might need to change it, point is, I ve had it started in 4-5 slow turns, now it needs more and faster turns, cant seem to find the problem)
Thanks a lot for taking the time to help. Understanding our cars and having fine control on them is essential. Cheers!
bautiprea is offline   Reply With Quote