Thread: Wood graining
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
Dick Carne

Default Re: Wood graining

I have wood-grained Model A interior mouldings for several cars, and have generally been very pleased with the end results using the Grain-it-Technologies plates and rollers. In my opinion, the initial costs involved to properly achieve desired results would probably be the same or quite probably less than sending these out to someone who might do these on a more frequent basis. Either way, in my opinion, the results are far better using the plate and transfer method than attempting to wipe or smear paints to create a desired grained effect. As Dave cited above, there are a number of techniques that become apparent once you might get started on this process (e.g. pressure consistencies, dealing with corners and recesses, transitioning/blending of grains from transfer to transfer, etc.) but this process is also somewhat "forgiving" given a little practice. There are a number of folks on Fordbarn who have used this process, and I am certain that any and all would be more than willing to provide specific thoughts and recommendations on any process going forward should you elect to use this process. Regardless, I wish you the best of success in your project ahead.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote