View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #42
56markII

Default Re: Power Nation Flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack orchard View Post
If you have secrets, why not tell us?
What would it cost you - money or otherwise?
We are the last generation that cares.
Jack you could not have said it any better!!!!!
Yes we are the last generation who cares and for those with all of their "secrets" how many of you see the flatheads being ripped out, discarded, and replaced with a SBC or a crate engine??
I do not want a 200 HP engine because now we are seriously modifying this engine!
Another quote is all the information is on this forum. ??? In reality a bit of this so information in some cases is speculation, hearsay, or assumptions and other members have pointed this out as well.

I arrived at this conclusion sifting through discussions on cylinder heads, and camshafts! One can spend hours looking though the information and easily come to this conclusion.
As an example cylinder heads such as EAB and EAC. I ran across EAB is better, no EAC, is better and next it will be NFG is better🤣 as the alphabet discussion continues.

Next we get into the camshafts and this is another "kettle of fish"🤬
NO I most certainly don't want something that is over cammed that idles so rough it bounces around like Hoppy the Hopparoo or sounds like a twin cylinder John Deere tractor.
Now people don't get me wrong as I'm not wanting to flame or criticize but what we need is does it work or no it doesn't work from those who have tried and yes I will post what my findings are because one can spend hours sifting.

In my case, all I'm looking for is perhaps 10, 20, or maybe 30 HP more🙏 and this shouldn't be much of a secret or too much to ask for?
When we get into 160+ well now we are doing major mods, major cash money for something that may or may not work depending on information or mistakes made and for this category you can keep those secrets LMAO!

Now camshafts................I have an 8CM in use presently and also have a pair of EAB and many thanks to more than helpful forum members providing information has led me to figure out what I have! A simple fact that I never knew is look at the end and see what's stamped. Lo and behold I got an EAB👍
Now for the confusion and that is, am I gaining anything after spending time swapping along with a bit of cash for gaskets?

The confusion is the 8CM appears to have more lift vs the EAB possibly having a better duration? Is a swap from 8CM to EAB a waste of time or will it get me perhaps 5+ more HP?
What about the so called "mild" aftermarket camshaft or is it no better than a stock 8CM,EAB, or EAC?
Okay now cylinder heads?
8CM vs EAB or EAC OR is Ol Ron's valuable information about the .050 rule more important?? In other words if pretty much any head except for 8RT milled for a .050 will work, or is a milled EAB or EAC better?

Now maybe you can see what I mean by so much information to sift through for only small amounts?😆🤣😂
I'm looking for quite simply small amounts of gain with what I have on hand as both a hobby and fascination with these flatheads after all I'm driving around in a stock 71 year old car like a Cuban.

Oh I might add I know what its like to pull intakes while the engine is in the car! Years ago (early 80's) when I purchased my Mercury I made the mistake of using adjustable lifters. After a number of times pulling the intake to kill woodpeckers I assumed the new lifters were just seating into a used cam. Wrong! Along finally comes the internet where some mentioned these lifters can creep!! They now have instructions mentioning that if the bolt turns with insufficient resistance, to remove the bolt and place in a vice end for end and compress to squish the threads together🤬 Mine came with nothing but the box and lousy wrench and since then park my ass behind a valve grinder and I will set those valves whisper quiet with no creepers because I'm now 40 years into the trade as a mechanic.

Unfortunately I usually do things stock and don't modify which is why I and others are looking for answers especially for small amounts of gain.
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)