View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 05:48 AM   #29
Rembrant

Default Re: ‘52 Flathead crankshaft end play

Thanks for all the replies folks. Turns out the ring gear was cracked, so that explains why it was coming off. Cracked from a previous installation or just because it’s 70 years old? I don’t know. Anyway, I have a new one on order and it will be here next week. I’m scrambling to get this thing back together next weekend.

On the flywheel bolts I measured everything and it looks like everything stacks up to be 0.878”, so the bolts being 7/8” long makes sense. ARP kit 240-2801 listed for Chrysler seems like a good fit, and the local engine shop has them in stock.

On the pilot bushing. It is obviously worn from hitting the end of the splines on the trans input shaft, but it must have been from a previous install as all my measurements show that there should be at least 0.125” clearance with the transmission installed. However the bushing was only slip fit, so it may have moved around in there. I’m going to make a new one with a slight interference fit to keep it in place. It will only be about 0.400” thick, but should do the trick for now.

Still haven’t measured crank end play but I’ll get the dial indicator under there this weekend. I tried physically moving it and can’t see or feel anything, but the dial indicator might show something.

In any case, I’m on the road to recovery for now. Just have to hope that all the parts I have ordered will fit properly.
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote