View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 11:33 PM   #1
Conaway2

Default Ignition System Question

Here’s a question for all the MOdel A ignition system experts.....

I’ve recently experienced an ignition system failure - no spark - during a tour in the city with lots of stop and go driving and temps in the low 90’s. No engine overheating at all. More recently than that, after installing a new Pertronix Flamethrower epoxy filled coil, and new condenser and cleaning the points (yes, original stock ignition system), which had about 1200 miles on them, I now experience an occasional high-speed miss after the engine has warmed up and run for 10-15 minutes. At 40 mph.

I’ve recently rebuilt the Zenith-2 carb, with Renner’s Corner flow tested jets, and cleaned the fuel filter.

This afternoon, I pulled the Champion 3X plugs (1200 miles on them) and they do not have carbon build-up - very clean looking. However, the gap on a couple of them was almost 0.050” - not sure how that happened. Anyway, I’ve re-gapped them to .035 and am wondering what the effect of too-large a spark gap on the coil would be.

Could this cal the coil to overheat ?? Or does this sounds more like a condenser issue ??

Thanks in advance -
JIm
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote