View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 01:23 AM   #8
Pete

Default Re: Banger Engine Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
What will this engine cost me? I have a Model "B" engine in my Coupe that has stock dimensions, but it is getting tired. I want to rebuild the engine with:
> Rebuilt short block;
> Insert bearings;
> Modern rear & front main bearing seals;
> Pressurized oil supply system;
> Touring grind camshaft;
> Metal camshaft timing gear;
> Modern stainless valves with larger diameter intakes;
> 7:1 Cylinder head;
> Balanced reciprocating & rotating components;
> Stock flywheel lightened the max amount;
> Exhaust header;
> Weber carburetor.

My goals are to increase mid range torque, cruise at 60 - 65 MPH (3000 RPM), and burst to 75 - 80 MPH (3645 RPM) for passing running with 87 Octane gasoline and running a stock 3.78:1 differential.
I have done 2 cars with very similar mods and a few more things to the car after I got the engine in. You will have around 100 hp if you use the best available parts and choose the right parts. That is a crap shoot what with all the available advice. If you are able to do some of the work, the price goes down.
You are talking about a hot rod engine, like it or not, so find somebody who has done it to help you, preferably close to you so you can ask questions in person.
Costwise, after you get done, at least 10K.
You will find after you get it running that it is going to want to turn WAY past 3700 so quick it will make your head spin. You will need an overdrive or 5 gear transmission. (more money) You will eventually want better brakes. (more money) 12volts? Maybe. More comfortable seats because you will want to drive it everywhere. CD player if you are old aand like old music. (not necessary)
After a couple seasons of touring, you will want more hp so you can compete on the 10 lane freeways. (BIG BUX)
On and on and on. You have beome a hot rodder, like it or not.....LOL

One piece of SERIOUS advice. Forget the cast iron flywheel on a seriously modified engine. Either steel or aluminum are available. Either will work and never remove your legs or feet.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote