View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #15
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: New hi compression heads

Two hours ago, I was typing a similar reply as J and M Machine eventually posted, but I got interrupted and only now am able to finish mine. Now I see that J and M Machine has made points similar to the ones I was going to post. I've modified my reply so as not to appear to be "jumping on the bandwagon".
Even if the head in question was as flat as the proverbial board when the owner received and installed it, using a Model B gasket will virtually GUARANTEE premature gasket failure. That gasket is not the one that Brumfield specifies and in fact insists upon. A Model B gasket will burn out prematurely as the flame will go over the fire ring on a Brumfield Head.
Moreover, someone drilled a couple of extra water holes not specified by Brumfield. Not only could this weaken the chamber near its edge, it also will not allow the specified gasket (Fel-Pro 7013 C) to be used because it would barely cover the holes with almost no gasket at all.
That discolored metal in the center of the head says it all. ANY cylinder head can warp after a blowout if it gets hot enough. In this case, the blowout was made easier by using the wrong gasket. Improper use of the spark lever could also contribute to a head gasket blowing out. Just the fact the wrong gasket was installed was enough to make the gasket blowout.
Hopefully the correct head gasket will be used this time around. I'd like to hear down the road if that solves the "warpage" and blown head gasket problem for Jason.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote