View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #14
Fordors

Default Re: Museum of American Speed flatheads....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
I had a chance to stop by the late Bill Smith's Museum of American Speed in Lincoln, NE recently. I found some rather interesting sidevalve engines there.

Or this experimental aluminum block overhead cam model....

If you get a chance to stop by this place I think it would be well worth your time.
The book "George Riley Racing Scrapbook", by Dan Iandola describes and pictures a similar engine built by Riley as having been commissioned after Ford Motor Company contacted Riley about an engine for a "...new unlimited class for International stock car racing". Specs required the use of a stock crank, rods and pistons only. The 3 1/16 X 3 3/4 engines were said to put out 202HP. Supposedly four were built, installed in 1934 Ford Roadsters and shipped to Argentina for a race. When the book was published in 1992 it was believed the engines were stored somewhere in Argentina.
A later version built by cam grinder Kenny Harman (when he was employed by Riley) for 225 cu. in. Hydroplane racing was described by Harman as being "Like a cheap hotel, lots of bugs." The gear train was weak and the oiling system needed work, and the rods were eventually replaced with vanadium steel, tubular rods.