View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #18
Jim/GA

Default Re: Drain valve question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Is there enough space below the baffle to allow one to "carefully" drill a small hole through the baffle so the water level could be seen?
If you go to a coffee shop, like Starbucks, you can get some small wooden stir sticks. I keep a stack of them on my bench (in a coffee mug) for all kinds of uses.

Use a wooden stir stick as a dip stick, going in through the radiator cap opening at an angle, off to the left or right of the baffle, and touch the bottom of the radiator tank. Now remove the stick and read on it how deep the coolant is above the top of the tubes.

The stick is at an angle, so you need to adjust it a bit in your head to account for that. I mostly do this on a cold engine to confirm I have some coolant above the top of the tubes before I take off.

I have also used a flashlight to look to the right or left of the baffle, then you can see the tubes and judge how much coolant you have above the tubes.

On a cold engine, I shoot for 1/2" above the tubes. On a hot engine, I shoot for having the coolant just at or just below the baffle.

Hope this helps.

But I still want to hear about Dean's experiment.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote