View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Jerold Ebke

Default Misaligned door hinges

This concerns my 1930 coupe purchased in 1976 and driven for a few years and then put in storage for the majority of the intervening time.
When I purchased the car in" as is unrestored" condition, neither door would allow the center hinge pin to be inserted.
I am now doing a DIY restoration and have the body off and have chassis nearly complete except waiting for shocks.
Body is solid with no rust of a structural consequence and sitting on saw horses. I assume frame seems acceptably straight in cross measure and with straight edge along top of frame with engine/tranny in place. Less than 1/16 gap under 4 foot straightedge at rear motor mount.
As I begin to contemplate working with the body and doors, I have tried to understand the problem with the hinge alignment.
I can sight through all 3 hinges on each door, so the doors are not distorted to any degree.
When I place a straight edge on the body hinges outward side, the drivers side has the center hinge 1/8 inch inward of alignment or toward the center of the body and the passenger side has the opposite, the center hinge 1/8 inch outboard of alignment with the other 2 hinges.
Makes me think the center part of the car in the gas tank and central hinge area is distorted toward the passenger side. There is no evidence of repaired body damage such as a previous collision. The hinges are all solidly in place and I have not contemplated trying to remove them at this point.
My eye is not good enough to see this by standing in front of the body and just "eyeballing the firewall". I tried to make a cardboard template comparing left to right to verify body is sprung, but amount is so small, its hard to compare accurately when marking and cutting a piece of cardboard. Seems straight edge on hinges is most obvious fact.
I tried search Ford Barn with "hinge alignment" but could not find any info on this issue.
Any thoughts or suggestions as to how to bend straighten body in this dimension. I live in a small rural Nebraska town, but the auto body shop does have frame straightening capability. Is this the best bet, trailer it to town and have the body shop bend away?
Thanks in advance.
Jerry
Jerold Ebke is offline   Reply With Quote