Thread: B Carb on an A?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 01:09 PM   #32
jack backer
BANNED

Default Re: B Carb on an A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
I've always thought that the engineers who designed the Model A engine probably knew a little bit more than I do about how one thing impacts another. I suspect they intentionally chose the restricted throat size in the A carburetor for a number of reasons, one of which was to limit the max rpm. You don't want it to breath and therefore rev too freely when you don't have a counterbalanced crank and you have babbit bearings and an unpressurized oil system. The Model B engine has larger main bearings and a counterweighted crank and is therefore able to withstand higher revs, which is why the Model B carb and manifold have larger throats. I would personally not risk a stock Model A engine by putting a B carb on it. Oh, you say you won't push it and over-rev it, then why bother with the B carb?
Harold Hicks, the engineer who got horsepower up to 40 from 22 during engine development pointed out the potential for center main bearing failure.. Sheldrick ignored him, if that speaks to Ford engineering prowess.The engine even at 40hp is detuned, the Zenith flows at about 80CFM, the engine flows air at about 160 CFM.. compression was lowered for poor fuel quality and drivability. A B carb increases hp by about 10% (about 4 hp ) not enough to warrant concern.
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote