View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
scooder

Default Re: Changing distributor on a flathead V8 8BA

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Converted chevy is a good choice. You don't need to change carburetor, just plug the hole.
Petronics in a stock loadamatic, in my opinion a waste of time and money. It will still be an old most likely worn out loadamatic. And still have the worn out and most likely ill working advance system. A system I really think worked good and done a good job. Problem is most of them arnt in tip top condition. Sticky or slack advance parts, tired springs, tired diagram, and so on. Due to there advance system balancing vacuum against spring tension, they have to be in teal good fetal to do their job properly. They don't get a fair crack at the whip.
It's the loadamatic that must have the correct carburetor. All other ignitions don't care what carburetor is on there.
If you read John's book, you'll see that it took quite a bit of work to make an aftermarket ignition produce as much torque as the loadamatic.
What's wrong with your ignition? Is their a problem with it? Why do you feel the need to change it?
Genuine honest questions, not me spouting my opinion.
When changing to a non stock ignition please remember, there is no one advance curve that's correct. All things have to be taken into account, driving style, compression ratio, gear ratios, tyre size, weight and so on. When it's curved to take account of all these, it will come alive! Anything else is a compromise.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing it right.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote