View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
Ggmac

Default Std bore 21 stud I've been stepping over 26 yrs

Ok , I'm in shock . I've been stepping over this engine 26 plus yrs , I've had it since 1978 . Stepping over as in my new shop and never thought twice about using it . After all it's a 21 stud and probably toast . Wrong ! Wow was I shocked . I started tear down to move it easier . Somethings weren't adding up . All head bolts , intake bolts pan and flywheel bolts were not seized or rusted . All were of like kind with appropriate washers , still had old champion 7 plugs and cloth wiring loom . I get one head off and was amazed , NO ridge , std bore steel Pistons with cast heads with a 47 date ( obvious replaced ) . No rust in water passages , and I finally thought , I've not tried to turn the crank . To my suprise , it rotates easily with no noise . Bringing each piston on its down stroke I tap each piston , expecting at least one to clank down a sizable amount . Nope . So I took pics and now need to know . Does anyone know if I can still find std rings ?
Yes I know how to measure and have measured each bore a 2-3 dif locations . My backround is retired mechanic / auto machinist . You ever spell a word and it just doesn't look correct ? Machinist , oh well I've not had to spell it in a long time . It's a 36 21 stud aluminum intake , flat 2 bolt coll , oil pump is still in good/great shape crank mains are 3.25 . At first I wasn't sure it had the large journal cause of the SPH stamped on the intake /block .
I don't know how to post pics but can email . My goal is to get it running and installing in my 34 frame , that had its origins motor till oil in the water so I removed it , stuck it on the floor ( near the 7-8 others ) and installed a SBC .
Yes I know but the 30-34 isn't orig anyway .
Please let me know if anyone has a source for std rings .
Thanks much , Gary
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote